Clicking on any of these topics will take you to that web page
|Group Officers / Positions||Reunion Info||Ships History||Photo Albums|
|Contact Info||Newsletters||Ships Captains||Our Old Friend's Final Days|
|Reunion Sites||Announcements||Feedback||Form Downloads|
|Sailor Simulator||Sperry Sailors||Boats Sperry Serviced||Members Only Page|
Date of operation May 1, 1942 to Sept 30, 1982
Built by Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, CA
Built: February 1, 1941
Launched: December 17, 1941
Length: 530' 7"
Named for Elmer Sperry - one of America's best - (and tragically least known) inventors.
Elmer Ambrose Sperry was born on 12 October 1860 at Cortland, N.Y. After spending three years at the state normal school there, be became interested in dynamo electricity during a year of study at Cornell University in 1878 and 1879. He moved to Chicago, Ill. early in 1880 and soon thereafter, founded the Sperry Electric Co. He organized the Sperry Electric Mining Machine Co. and the Sperry Electric Railway Co. in 1888 and 1890, respectively. In 1900, Sperry established an electrochemical laboratory at Washington, D.C. where he and his associate, C. P. Townshend, developed a process for making pure caustic soda from salt and discovered a process for recovering tin from scrap metal. Sperry experimented with diesel engines and gyroscopic compasses and stabilizers for ships and aircraft. In 1910, he started the Sperry Gyroscope Co. in Brooklyn, N.Y.; and his first compass was tested that same year in Delaware (Battleship No.28). His compasses and stabilizers were adopted by the United States Navy and used in both world wars. In 1918, he produced a high-intensity arc lamp which was used by both the Army and Navy. After setting up eight companies and receiving over 400 patents, Sperry died in Brooklyn, N.Y., on 12 June 1930.
The following is a list of those awards:
Asiatic Campaign Medal 1942-46
American Campaign Medal 1942-46
World War II Campaign Medal 1942-46
Battle Efficiency "E" 1948
Battle Efficiency "E" 1949
Battle Efficiency "E" 1950
National Defense Medal 1954
National Defense Medal 1974
Meritorious Unit Commendation 1978
Battle Efficiency "E" 1980
To the Management and Workmen:
"The Navy at Hawaii is undaunted; the
Marines still hold at Wake.
Just ten days after the attack - as the Sperry slid down the ways, the Commandant of Mare Island Navy Yard sent back his reply:
"The Sperry has one answer, Mr. Secretary; Mare Island will give you many more."
She remained at Oahu for almost three months, refitting seven submarines and making voyage repairs to four others. On 26 October, she weighed anchor and headed for Australia. After cautiously skirting the Solomon Islands and making a three-day stopover at Noumea, New Caledonia, the submarine tender reached Brisbane on 13 November. During her two-month stay "down under,"
Sperry refitted seven submarines and made a voyage repair on one. On 17 January 1943, she sailed for Pearl Harbor, where she arrived on the 31st. After 10 refits, 10 voyage repairs, and over four months at Pearl Harbor, Sperry got underway on 8 June.
Steaming in company with Kern (AOG-2) and Coast Guard cutter, Taney, she reached Midway Island on 12 June. Her stay there was probably the busiest period in her career. During five months, she serviced 70 submarines, refitting 17 and making voyage repairs to 53. In mid-November, she joined Florikan (ASR-9) in a voyage back to Pearl Harbor, from the 12th to the 16th. She refitted eight submarines and accomplished voyage repairs on seven others between 15 November 1943 and 9 March 1944; then headed west once again. Sperry's tour of duty at Majuro Atoll lasted from 15 March until 19 September. During her stay, the submarine tender accomplished 19 refits and two voyage repairs. In addition, her crew erected Camp Myrna, the first recuperation camp for submarine crews in the central Pacific area, on Myrna Island. On 19 September, she exited the lagoon with Litchfield (DD-336) and headed for Pearl Harbor again. They reached Oahu on the 24th, but Sperry was underway again by 8 October as part of an 11-ship convoy.
At Eniwetok, she parted company with the convoy; and, with Corbesier (DE-438), she continued on to the Marianas. The two ships arrived at Guam on 20 October to begin a four-month tour of duty during which she serviced 20 boats, 14 for refit and six for voyage repairs. Again, her crew constructed a submarine recuperation facility, Camp Dealey. On 13 February 1945, Sperry and Southard (DMS-10) departed Guam to return to the United States. The two ships reached Pearl Harbor on 22 February. Southard remained at Pearl Harbor but Sperry continued eastward on 1 March.
The submarine tender entered Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 7 March and commenced an overhaul which lasted until 30 April.
By 10 May, Sperry was back at Pearl Harbor where she completed one refit and three voyage repairs before sailing on 30 June for the Marianas. She was stationed at Guam from 11 July 1945 to 11 January 1946. During those six months, her stay in the Marianas was interrupted only once, in late November and early December, when she joined Blend (SS-324), Blower (SS-325), Bluebook (SS-326), Charr (SS-328), Reddish (SS-395), Sea Cat (SS-399), and Segued (SS-398) in a training cruise. They visited Ulithi Atoll in the Carolines and Manus Island in the Admiralties before returning to Apra Harbor 10 days before Christmas.
Eleven days into the new year of 1946, Sperry weighed anchor at Apra and headed for California. After swing from the same buoy with the Nerus at Chula Vista, Sperry moved to Long Beach. She arrived at Terminal Island and began an extensive overhaul which was completed in July of 1947. Unlike many of her sister ships, Sperry remained an active unit of the fleet, operating out of San Diego. She earned the coveted battle efficiency "E" three years in a row in 1948, 1949, and 1950. In 1949, She participated in Operation "Miki," a war game which simulated the recapture of an enemy-occupied Oahu; and, while returning to San Diego, she operated in support of the first publicized firings of missiles from submarines.
Between 1950 and 1953, her pace was quickened by the hostilities in Korea as she serviced and supplied many of the submarines re-commissioned for that conflict. In 1952, she made her only voyage to the western Pacific. She sailed via Pearl Harbor, where she stayed from 6 August until 21 September, and served at Chi Chi Jima in the Bonin Islands from 2 to 9 October. She returned to the west coast of the United States on 25 October. In December of 1951, the battle lines in Korea were more or less stabilized along the 38th parallel and hostilities were slowly lessened over the next two years. This resulted in a gradual return to peacetime routine for Sperry. Over the ensuing 10 years, the submarine tender continued to operate out of San Diego, spending most of her time in port servicing the submarines of the fleet, but occasionally getting underway for training cruises along the west coast.
Her area of operation extended from Mexico north to Canada. From April to September 1961, Sperry was at Long Beach Naval Shipyard being brought up to date by a Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization overhaul. In mid-September, she returned to her duties as submarine tender at San Diego. Since then, she has continued to support submarines of the Pacific Fleet, again spending most of her time in port and departing occasionally for cruises along the west coast of North America and to Hawaii. As of November 1974, Sperry was still active.
In June of 1979 the Secretary of the Navy awarded Sperry the Meritorious Unit Commendation for meritorious service in support of the units of Submarine Group Five, Submarine Development Group One and Submarine Squadron Three from 1 April 1978 to 1 December 1978. Once again in 1980
Sperry was awarded the coveted Battle Efficiency "E" for fiscal year 1980.
On 1 May 1982 Sperry celebrated her fortieth anniversary of service to the fleet. Sperry's long history can be summed up in her motto "Service Is Our Business." Sperry's many conspicuous achievements are a testimonial of a proud ship and many proud crews who steadfastly adhered to this motto.
After Decommissioning: September 30, 1982
Sperry earned the distinction of being the first Navy ship to be launched after "Pearl Harbor" on December 17, 1941 at the beginning of World War II and achieved many successes in a career spanning some forty years. During those years she earned a reputation of excellence that is a standard by which other submarine tenders and even war ships of the line would aspire to. Her gallant career came to an end on September 30, 1982. The Sperry swung from a buoy in the Sinclair Inlet of Puget Sound in Washington State for several years after decommissioning, and during that time she was cannibalized for any and all parts and equipment that could be salvaged. Word is that the U.S.S. COD SS-224 among others was allowed to take several things from the Sperry to enhance their display at Cleveland, Ohio on the shore of Lake Erie.
On March 10 1998 at 09:30 ex-Sperry left Mooring G at the Navy Inactive Maintenance Facility Bremerton, Washington being towed by USNS SUIOX to the RESERVE FLEET at Suisun Bay, which is just east of Vallejo and Mare Island, to be scrapped. It is rather ironic that the Sperry will meet her demise only about ten miles from where she started such a gallant career.Sperry arrived in Suisun Bay around March 23 1998
On August 9, 2011, Sperry was sold by MARAD to ESCO Marine of Brownsville, Tx for $1,526,726 to be dismantled. Sperry departed the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet on September 28, 2011 to be cleaned of marine growth and loose exterior paint by Allied Defense Recycling at the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
On October 17, 2011, Sperry departed Mare Island in tow behind the tug Rachel en route to the Panama Canal and transited the Panama Canal on November 17, 2011.
At the beginning of December 2011, the Sperry arrived in Brownsville were dismantling begun.